Statement on Timing of Elective Ambulatory Surgery During COVID-19 Resurgence in the U.S.
February 23, 2021
The Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia (SAMBA) is concerned about the resurgence of COVID-19 cases throughout the country. Beginning in late fall 2020 viral spread and rates of infection dramatically increased. However, just very recently the numbers have started to mitigate, though rates of infection are almost twice the peaks that we saw in summer 2020. In addition, testing capabilities have escalated, and vaccination is being offered to healthcare workers and senior citizens. Read the full statement below.
Statement on COVID-19 Testing Before Ambulatory Anesthesia
May 1, 2020
Guidance on pre-operative COVID-19 testing and it’s application specifically to NORA and OBA, inclusive of procedures as well as surgeries, as of the date of issuance.
Resuming Ambulatory Anesthesia Care
April 20, 2020
Recommendations for Ambulatory Elective Surgery During COVID-19 Pandemic
March 17, 2020
Guidance compiled using the most current information about COVID-19 available at the date of issuance regarding continuing or postponing elective surgeries.
COVID-SAFE ASC Checklist
April 20, 2020
As we move forward – there still may be many questions or concerns about COVID-19 and what it means for everyone. The provided forum allows us to network and discuss COVID-19 and all it entails.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – CDC strategies for optimizing supply of N95 respirators; conventional capacity strategies as well as crisis alternate strategies; strategies to optimize the supply of PPE and equipment; links to optimizing strategies for eye protection, isolation gowns, facemasks, a PPE burn rate calculator and ventilators; the FAQs; and answers to questions that will be helpful to families of health care providers who have questions.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) – Coronavirus rumor control; and help distinguishing fact from fiction regarding the pandemic.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – FDA recommendations for mask and gown conservation.
- Office of Inspector General (OIG)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- ASA website
- Using Anesthesia Machines as ICU ventilators
- Pediatric Intensive Care Society
- Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation (APSF)
- Association of Anaesthetists
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Children’s Hospital Association (CHA)
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- European Society of Anaesthesiologists (ESA) COVID-19 resources page
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA)
Resuming Elective Surgery After COVID-19
Resources for Physicians (Journals)
Information from ASCA
- Respiratory Protection FAQ: Healthcare
- Coronavirus – guidance for anaesthesia and perioperative care providers
- ASA and APSF issue joint statement on non-urgent care during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment by Anesthesia Professionals during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Anesthesiology special series of COVID 19 articles
- ASA frequently asked questions about COVID 19
- COVID-19 Surgical Triage Decision Making
Other Physician Resources
News From Our International Partner
- There are many websites and organizations that now provide free workouts. Just make sure that you don’t congregate with friends or neighbors. Remember also that you can walk or run outside, as long as you practice social distancing.